At the consular section of our embassy, it is possible to request an identity card (eSzemélyi) with an electronic storage element. In addition to personal identification, the card proves Hungarian citizenship and can be used for travel between the member states of the European Union. The electronic storage element of the document contains the citizen's fingerprint, photograph and signature. In possession of the card, the registration of the "Customer Gateway" (Ügyfélkapu) can also be done electronically.
Please note that it is not possible to request an electronic signature (E-sign) at our Embassy.
Who can request the ID?
All Hungarian citizens who are appear in the state electronic Personal Data and Address Register under “active status” - are entitled to apply for a personal identity card, regardless of whether they have a permanent residence in Hungary or abroad. It is also a condition for the acceptance of the application that there is no discrepancy between the data in the register and the presented identification documents regarding the applicant's marital status and name.
The application has to be submitted in person after prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please see our "General Information - appointments" page.
Special rules for minors:
Minors between the ages of 14 and 18 can also apply for an identity card.
In the case of an applicant under the age of 14, the consent of both parents (legal representatives) is required. If only one parent appears in person, it is necessary to copy the other parent's notarized statement of consent (with an official Hungarian translation) and a personally identifiable document. If this cannot be done, the appearing parent must certify the termination of the other parent's parental custody (death certificate, court decision, guardianship consent, etc.).
Under the age of 12, the minor is not required to be present in which case a passport photo of the child not older than 3 months must be brought to the consulate. Under the age of 6, a fresh ID photo should be brought in all cases, even if the child appears in person.
Upon submission of the application, the portrait, fingerprint and signature of the applicant shall be recorded by the consulate.
There is no need for fingerprints if:
- the Hungarian citizen is less than 12 years old;
- the applicant refuses to provide fingerprints (in this case, the issued electronic identity card will not be suitable for the functions associated with storing the fingerprint on the chip);
- the person is physically unable to give a fingerprint.
Documents to be submitted:
One of the following documents to prove your identity:
- a valid identity card or an expired ID card (maximum 1 year),
- a valid Hungarian passport;
- a valid driving license in card format issued by a Hungarian authority,
- a valid foreign document (identity card, passport),
and the applicant's Hungarian address card, Hungarian birth certificate or its copy, a marriage certificate or its copy issued by a Hungarian authority.
If you have acquired your Hungarian citizenship through simplified naturalization:
- naturalization certificate or birth and marriage certificates, address card
In the case of a minor applicant, the following must also be submitted:
- one of the documents capable of identifying the parents (see above). Note: In case of an Israeli ID card, both parents must submit their Israeli ID.
Duration of procedure:
The new identity card will arrive at the Embassy within 1-2 months after submitting the application.
There is no fee for the first application each year.
Other important information:
The issued document must be collected in person. If you had a previous identity card, you must hand it over at the same time.
The PIN envelope received when submitting the application must be brought with you to take the document. This envelope contains the PIN card required to activate the new card.
How long is the document valid?
- 0-12 years: 3 years from the issuing date to the day following the birthday, maximum until 12 years old.
- 12-18 years: 3 years from the issuing date to the day following the birthday
- 18-65 years: 6 years
- Over the age of 65, it is also 6 years, but it is also possible to issue a document without a time limit if the applicant does not use the electronic functions of the card.
If the holder was born on 29 February and this day is missing in the year of expiry of the validity period, the identity card will expire on 28 February.
Further information on the electronic identity card can be found on the website https://eszemelyi.hu/, or information can be requested on the official government customer hotline, in Hungary dialing 1818, and from abroad dialing +361 550-1858, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The documents required for the submission of the application are prepared on site, electronically, so their signing is required on site.