As a Hungarian citizen living abroad you can also register your address change abroad at the Consulate. In this case, there is no need to change your current address card, as it will be still have the text: “Residence: foreign address”. (for more information about this, please visit our Notification of Residing Abroad page). 


Who can apply for the procedure?

Any Hungarian citizen living abroad can apply for the service.


Method of submission:

The application can only be submitted only in person, by prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please see our "General Information - appointments" page. Please note, that multiple appointments are required in order to register the change of address of multiple people.

Special rules for minors (children under age of 18):

  • If only one parent appears in person, the appearing parent must certify the cessation of parental custody of the other parent (death certificate, court decision, guardianship consent, etc.).
  • Hungarian birth certificates (issued by Hungarian Authorities) must be presented.


Documents to be submitted:

  • "Kérelem a külföldön élő magyar állampolgár adatainak módosításához" form (the heading "modification of data" must be selected and underlined)
  • Original Hungarian address card
  • Valid Hungarian passports (or  Hungarian ID card) of Hungarian parents and valid foreign passport. of non-Hungarian parent.


Duration of procedure

Approximately 2-3 months



The service is free of charge.


Other important information

If you already have a Hungarian address card marked as "Residence: Foreign Address",you may report the change of address via the Web Assistant available on the website  (it is not necessary to have a Client Gate registration to use it!) as well.