Hungarian citizens born abroad may be registered in Hungary through the Consulate.
Who can apply for the procedure?
The condition for submitting the application is that one of the parents can prove his or her Hungarian citizenship at the time of the child's birth and at the time of submitting the application.
If it cannot be proven, a Hungarian citizenship verification process is required of the applicant(s) first.
In order to initiate the procedure, it is necessary that the parents' marriage is already registered in Hungary. If this is not the case, the marriage must be registered at the same time (Registration of a Marriage Conducted Abroad) as when the birth is registered (in this case it is necessary to book two appointments for each type of case).
If the parents were not married at the time of the child's birth, the father must make a declaration of fatherhood at the same time as when the birth is registered (in which case it is necessary to book two appointments for each type of case).
Documents to be submitted
- The child's original Israeli birth certificate (which includes the mother's birth surname and first name, also known as the maiden name) with Apostille authentication (this can solely be obtained from the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jerusalem, please check directly with them) and its precise Hungarian translation. (In case the birth certificate is already bilingual – English-Hebrew, no translation is required. Apostille or notarial certification is not required for the translation itself)
- Hungarian birth and marriage certificate and Hungarian address card of the parent of Hungarian citizenship, and copies thereof.
- Proof of the identity and Hungarian citizenship of the Hungarian parent: a Hungarian passport or identity card or naturalisation document and their copies. The document proving the Hungarian citizenship must have been valid at the time of the birth of the child and the parent must also prove citizenship at the date of application.
- Proof of citizenship and identity of the non-Hungarian parent: a valid Israeli passport and its copy.
Method of submission:
The application has to be submitted in person, after prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please see our "General Information- appointments" page.
The joint presence of both parents is required to initiate the procedure.
It is necessary to book as many dates as many children you would like to register.
Duration of procedure
It usually takes 3-4 months but it can take up to 6-8 months. There is no possibility to expedite the process.
The procedure is free of charge.
Other important information
Before making an appointment, please inform the consular officer if any of the following applies to you:
- Child was born to unmarried parents
- You have been divorced before marriage
- Your name/child’s name changed
- Your current marital name differs from the marital name indicated on the Israeli/ Hungarian marriage certificate
- The Hungarian citizen parent has an official registered address in Hungary
Forms (only in Hungarian)