للمعلومات باللغة العربية الرجاء ضغظ هنا
A uniform Schengen (short-stay) visa allows its holder to stay in the Schengen area for the duration identified in the visa, not exceeding total of 90 days in any 180-day period. The visa can be issued for one, two or multiple entries.
(In case you have already obtained a two or multiple entry visa but you are not sure about the available travel days remained from the 90 days, please check the Calculator for help.)
If your stay in Hungary will exceed 90 consecutive days, please see „Applying for a long-term stay visa – residence permit”.
Who needs to apply for a Schengen Visa?
Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 includes the list of third countries whose nationals are subject to, or exempt from possessing a visa while crossing the external border of the Schengen area.
Furthermore, Member States may grant exceptions to the visa requirement or the visa waiver to certain categories of persons (generally for holders of diplomatic, service and special passports).
For a full list of countries that do not require a visa to enter Hungary, please visit the website of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary.
Israeli citizens holding ordinary Israeli passports do not need to obtain a visa for a period not exceeding 90 days given:
- the validity of the passport exceeds the planned date of return from the Schengen area by 3 months at least, and
- the passport has been issued within 10 years from the date of entry to the Schengen area.
If you hold an Israeli Travel Document (תעודת מעבר), you will need to apply for a visa.
What is the application process?
In order to process your visa application at the Embassy of Hungary, your travel itinerary must fulfill the below criteria:
- the main or only destination of your stay is Hungary within the Schengen Area. If you are visiting multiple countries, the most number of nights must be in Hungary, or in the case of stays in different Schengen countries with equal length, Hungary is the first port of entry.
- the date of your planned departure to the Schengen Area is within 6 months of the date of application.
If you meet the above requirements, then request an appointment in advance through our online booking system.
Applicants shall appear in person when lodging an application, there is no opportunity for of receiving online applications.
What documents do I have to bring to submit an application?
- Schengen-Visa application form:
You can download this form by clicking here (Please keep in mind that you can download the form in any language but you should fill it out in English).
The application forms should be presented already filled out.
Passport-size, 1 pc.
Valid for at least 3 more months from the time of return.
List of supporting documents for all visa applicants:
- Proof of accommodation in the Member State of destination: hotel booking for whole duration of the stay in the Member State if accommodation is not provided by host or official form/invitation letter confirming accommodation by the host (in case the host resides in a leased apartment: declaration of the owner).
- Evidence of income confirming that they cover all costs related to travel and stay: bank statements for the last three months, and/or copies of salary slips of the last three months and/or a letter of invitation by the company/institution. In case of sponsorship: bank account statement for the last 3 months of the person financing your trip & a written statement from him/her taking responsibility for all your costs & a copy of his/her valid passport.
- Proof of residence rights stay in Israel valid for a minimum of three months after the intended departure from the territory of the Member States should be presented.
- Information about travel arrangements: outbound and return flight booking with intended dates of travel. In case of visiting multiple Schengen states: tickets of travel within the Schengen area.
- Proof of studies/retirement/employment with a confirmation of the possibility to return to work. The person signing the proof should be identified by name and surname, position and contact details.
- Travel medical insurance, valid throughout the territory of the Member States and covering the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30 000.
Documents to be submitted depending on the purpose of the visit
- Signed invitation from company in Hungary including the full name of the applicant, the purpose of the visit, who will cover travel and accommodation costs, the company’s contact details. Job description and dates of the visits should be explicitly stated in the letter from the sponsor company.
Visiting a friend/relative
- Signed invitation from a friend/relative including full name of the applicant, the purpose and duration of the visit, address during the stay in Hungary (contact details of the host). A letter of invitation must meet the following criteria.
- It must be either issued and endorsed by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing of Hungary - for more information please visit the website of the office, or
- prepared and notarized by a Notary Public.
Seminar/course/scientific, cultural, sports or religious events
- Signed invitation from the organising authority of the event, including the applicants full name, the purpose of the visit, address during the stay in Hungary, who will cover travel and accommodation costs, contact details of the organising authority.
Minors travelling alone or with only one parent/legal guardian
The consent of the parents/legal guardians should be required only if the minor travels alone or with only one parent. Exceptions should be made to this if a single parent/legal guardian with whom the minor is to travel, holds sole custody.
How long will it take for me to get my visa?
In general, visa decisions are made in 15 calendar days (may be extended up to a maximum of 30 or 60 calendar days in individual cases) and the applicant is notified by phone/ email.
For reasons of data protection, information about individual visa applications may only be provided to the applicant personally or to a person whom the applicant has authorized in writing to receive such information. These authorization forms can be found at the Consular Section waiting hall of the Embassy or you can download it from here (must be presented in original hard copy.
How much do I have to pay for my visa?
The visa fee depends on your nationality and age, so for an up-to-date list of visa fees, please visit our Consular Fees link.
Please note: you can only pay the fee via credit card, no cash payment is accepted.
What can you do if your visa gets refused?
You may appeal against this decision. The decision to refuse a Schengen Visa and the reasons for the refusal are notified using a standard form that is handed out by the Member State's consulate that refused the visa. The notification of the refusal will include the reasons, on which the refusal was based and information on the applicant’s right to appeal the decision.
The visa fee is not refunded if the visa is refused. The visa fee covers the cost of the examination of the visa application.
If a visa application is rejected, the applicant or his legally authorized representative has the right to appeal in writing within a period of 8 days after the date on which the applicant is notified of the refusal of the visa. The appeal containing the reasons for appealing must be handed in in person at the Consular Section of the Embassy of Hungary. For the fee of appeal procedure, please check the Consular Fees link for updated prices at all times.
The decision will be made by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary within 15 days.
In case of refusal of the appeal, the applicant may appeal this decision within 3 days by filing a legal action at the Consular Section of the Embassy with the Administrative and Labour Court in Budapest. There is no further legal remedy against the decision of the Administrative and Labour Court in Budapest.
General Visa Information: https://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/how-to-apply-for-visa