All Hungarian citizens whose marriage was dissolved by a foreign court must have the divorce registered in Hungary.


Who can initiate the procedure?

The application may be submitted by the Hungarian citizen spouse.

If you have not yet registered your previous marriage in Hungary, you must first initiate the registration procedure for your previous marriage at the same time when you register your divorce (in this case, you need to book two appointments for each type of case).


Documents to be submitted

  • Original Israeli certificate of divorce with Aspotille authentication (this may solely be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Israel in Jerusalem) and precise Hungarian translation (Apostille or notarization is not required for the translation).
  • The original Hungarian birth certificate and the Hungarian address card of the spouse of a Hungarian citizen and their copy
  • The original Hungarian marriage certificate and its copy
  • Electronically completed and printed, but not signed application form
  • Proof of the identity and Hungarian citizenship of the Hungarian spouse: a Hungarian passport or identity card or naturalisation document and their copies.


Method of submission

The application is submitted in person, after prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please see our "General Information- appointments" page.


Duration of procedure

It is usually 3-4 months but it can take up to 6-8 months. There is no possibility of expediting the process.



See our table for consular fees.