Registering yourself in the electronic domestic registry as a Hungarian citizen living abroad

If the Hungarian citizen is not included in the personal data and address register ("electronic registry") (because he or she has never had a permanent residence in Hungary or s/he has a passive status due to any reason), s/he can apply to register as citizen living abroad. Once registered, an address card marked with the text "Residence: foreign address” will be issued. For more information about this, please visit our Notification of Residing Abroad page. 


Who can apply for the procedure?

Any Hungarian citizen who is not included in the personal data and address register can apply for the service. Please note that in certain procedures, it is mandatory for this to be done (e.g. when applying for a passport and the consular officer sees that the person is not in the register). 


Method of submission:

The application can only be submitted in person by prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please see our "General Information - appointments" page. Please note, that multiple appointments are required in order to register the change of address of multiple people.

Special rules for minors:

  • If only one parent appears in person, the appearing parent must certify the cessation of parental custody of the other parent (death certificate, court decision, guardianship consent, etc.).
  • Children between the ages of 14-18  must appear personally and sign the forms


Documents to be submitted:

  • application form „Kérelem a külföldön élő magyar állampolgár adatainak nyilvántartásához” (find below)
  • valid Hungarian identity card or passport;
  • Hungarian birth certificate;
  • in the case of married marital status, Hungarian marriage certificate;
  • Hungarian marriage certificate with „divorced” or „widowed” clause in case of divorced or widowed marital status.
  • In case an applicant is under the age of 18, in addition to the above mentioned documents, it is also necessary to present the parents' Hungarian marriage certificate.


Duration of procedure

Approximately 2-3 months.



The service is free of charge.


Other important information

If you already have a Hungarian address card marked as "Residence: Foreign Address",you may report the change of address via the Web Assistant available on the website  (it is not necessary to have a Client Gate registration to use it!) as well.